Wednesday 23 February 2011

The House of Lords

The shining fortress that sits in the center of the square attracts me so strongly. Every inch of the building is crawling with rats and infestation and could be seen as a vile prison that only the very brave would dear to enter, and yet it is the only place I truly wish I could call home. It is vastly different from its London brother, who's spotlessly clean walls sparkle with power and authority. I speak of course of "The House of Lords". The country's well being hangs in the palms of the self elected members who try to manipulate the democratic decisions made by the British parliament. Despite the fact that the coalition that rules everyone of us works only in the interests of the upper class, It was formed in a democratic manor. So "The House of Lords" is in fact a modern day attempt at a dictatorship.
   That is something that must not be confused with the previously mentioned unhygienic living quarters of my lord. My life long lord (or pal) has lived in the same house for a long while. Everything about it draws me in. A strong relationship between myself and the character of the house has been established over the course of my life. I have paid it a visit for almost every weekend since 2004, when I spent my first 24 inside its walls. Excitement was the overpowering emotion that i experienced when I first laid my head down on a pillow that was luck enough to live in the place I wished I lived to. Still I get enraged with jealousy when that (or indeed any other object) comes into my vision because of the simple place that it it kept. I envy the four human beings who can truthfully claim to live in this house with all of my being.
   Now despite the fact that this loved exists, I couldn't hope for it to be in anyway likened to the love that my friend and the house share. He loves the house and it's owners with such an incredible depth that I couldn't imagine getting with in twenty twenty mils of achieving myself. I would shake his hand in an instant. He may have defeated me, but I do not feel jealousy, only pride that he has been able to create such a strong bond of love between himself and an average sized Victorian building.
   I wonder if I've gone off topic. The place that my friend lives is a beautiful family democracy. Although there is a clear leader every member has a say in how the house is run. That is why I believe my friends house to be the real House of Lords.

No comments:

Post a Comment